Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Big Day in D.C.

Unless you live under a rock, or don't pay attention to Facebook, Twitter, Television, Newspapers, etc. you know that the Supreme Court made a ruling on the healthcare bill. Now I'm sure you have your opinions on it, just as I have mine, but I don't want to talk about them, at least not here. 

What I want to talk about is how cool it is to be living in the city where this large decision was made! I was in a meeting at work today when the boss popped his head in to say "They passed it, 5-4, Roberts was the swing vote!" Everyone in the office was running around, and live news coverage could be heard from various offices who were streaming it online. Instantly I knew I wanted to go and see all of the action! I knew the area out front would be packed with people, and secretly I wanted to see if I could get onto CNN (didn't happen). 

So when lunch time came around, Lilly and I headed out the door and took the Metro through the city to Capitol South. When we arrived we could tell we were now in a different part of the city. There were less people around than the area near our office, and it was quieter. Everyone was wearing suits, and people were talking intensely into their phones. 

Soon though we happened across the Capitol building, and stopped for a moment to take in the sight of it.


After that we crossed the street to find a ton of news crews set up, covering the action. There were the usuals... CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, and then there were also international press stations like Danish TV. 


I have only been to D.C. once before, and I have never seen the Supreme Court building. Walking up to it, it certainly lives up to it's grand title. The large columns and white marble immediately alert you to the importance of what happens behind the doors. Unfortunately by the time we got there a majority of the crowd had left. There were still some people around though, taking in the moment. 


It is days like today that make me happy to be in this city. I was literally right outside the door from something that has the potential to change our nation on a very large scale. I can't help but get the feeling that each time I ride the metro, or walk down the street, or eat at a food truck that I may possibly be standing near a Senator, or a columnist for the Washington Post, or the next Food Network Star. Everyone here is so driven, and so 'in it' I can't help but be in constant awe. 

I can't wait to see what else unfolds over the summer, and what other parts of history I will witness and have the chance to say; "I was there for that." 


No comments:

Post a Comment