Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

First Day of Work!

(wall art on my floor at work)


I woke up early today, much earlier than I had in almost two weeks, to get up and get ready for my first day of work! The adventure began when I hopped on the subway. My route to work is pretty simple, get on the metro, wait two stops, and get off. I was confident I had this in the bag, and then the predictable happened... something went wrong.


After one stop the ENTIRE train was emptied due to "maintenance issues." This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but at peak hours the train was completely packed (like people's armpits in my face to hold onto the balance bar packed), and the next train that rolled in was just as busy. Everyone started pushing and shoving to cram into the second train, and only about half of us made it on. 


After that debacle however the ride went fairly smoothly. Sweaty and hot and uncomfortable, but smoothly. So I arrived at work and after a day of introductions, lunch, meetings, and new friends I was on cloud 9. I think I will really enjoy what I will be working on, and the people on my team seem pretty great. I share a cubicle with another intern, which is a great way to make a new friend really quickly! 



After work, my fellow intern told me about the softball team that some of the people in the office are on. I decided to come along to watch the game even though I couldn't play (pencil skirts aren't really softball attire). And what do you know? The games are held on the field directly beneath the Washington Monument.



After a fun game, the team decided to head out for a beer, and we all walked to Public Bar in Dupont. It was great to sit and talk with others working in the office, and even meet some people from the Pac-NW!

All in all I was gone for about 13 hours, and while I am exhausted I am incredibly excited to be meeting new people and exploring this new city of mine. The rest of the week is going to be just as busy, but I wouldn't want it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment