Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Peapod



You know my life is brimming with excitement when I decide to devote a blog post to grocery shopping,
but I wanted to share a little story about the hells of grocery shopping without a car, while living no where near an actual grocery store.

One poignant memory from this summer sticks out: After having trudged up and down the red line metro to the nearest Giant, I emerged out of the underground tunnel toting several heavy bags. It had started sprinkling rain when I left the store, which I thought nothing of, but as I stepped out of the metro entrance I realized the skies had opened and all of the water in the Atlantic Ocean was pouring down into my neighborhood. The uphill walk to my apartment had turned into a rapid river, and people were huddled underneath bus stops and building overhangs. Annoyed and tired from lugging the bags I decided that instead of waiting it out, I would just walk the three blocks home (Note: I can be stubborn from time to time). As you may have expected I ended up drenched, my beige dress completely soaked and see-through. I looked as though someone had just pushed me into a pool fully clothed,  and my groceries were soaking wet- the cardboard cylinder containing my oatmeal had turned to mush. After that I rarely went to grocery stores, and ended up wasting money on eating out a lot more than I should have.

So you will understand my delight at discovering Peapod! It's a service run by Giant (the local grocery store) where you can shop online and have your food delivered directly to your door. It's strange scanning through page after page of pictures of food, and I firmly believe the ease of it all caused me to order way more than I needed. It was magnificent however, to select my delivery time from a timetable as I checked-out and have my food show up a day later, with no problems and no monsoons to travel through.

In a city where not everyone has a car, and grocery stores seem to be few and far between, it's a delight to know that with a click of a button (or 30) my grocery list can appear at my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment