Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Return to Nature!

Now don't get me wrong, I have always been a city girl. I love the tall buildings, the eclectic neighborhoods, the crazy people, and the fast paced nature of it all. I'm not a country girl, and I know I would never want to live in a small town.

That being said, I love being outdoors. Oregon spoils you a bit in this regard, you're never very far from the ocean, the mountains, or the forest. Living in Corvallis, if I ever wanted to go to the ocean to clear my head I would hop in my car and 45 minutes later I was there. If I wanted to hike there were spots in town and right outside that I could get to in half an hour. D.C. is a little different, mainly because I am car-less.

My confines these last few months have been limited to the reach of the D.C. metro station, so other than some urban forest exploring in Rock Creek Park I really haven't spent much time near anything other than concrete.

That's why I was so thankful when a friend suggested we head out of town about 2 hours south to Shenandoah National Park. The drive down was pretty, dotted with small Virginia towns, apple stands, and Civil War sign posts. While I will always believe there is no better place for summer than the PNW, I have to give fall to Virginia. The colors of the trees were gorgeous yellows, reds, and oranges made all the better by the clear skies and sunshine!

I didn't realize the effect that my limited access was having on me until I got out of town. Hiking through the trees, and up waterfalls put me at instant ease. It was a beautiful day, and am definitely thankful for the time spent out of town... and friends with cars!

Here's some pics of the adventure!











No comments:

Post a Comment